Follow my "Unbridled Adventure," a summer project made possible by a Lilly Endowment Teacher Creativity Fellowship.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Meeting Kahuna

You may be wondering what I have been doing since there have been no posts in the last few days. I have been really busy doing lots of "horse things" and some fun non-horse things, too. Instead of making a really long post to catch up, I am going to do a series of separate posts until I get all caught up. This post will be for Saturday, June 9.

On Saturday, I finally got to meet Jewel's beautiful horse, Kahuna! We drove to Castlewood Equestrian Center, which is where Kahuna lives. I spent the first few hours at the barn learning about some of the important chores and responsibilities that go along with having a horse. Kahuna needed a bit of a "spa treatment" on Saturday. The first tools Jewel got out were electric clippers. Kahuna needed part of his mane clipped so he can wear his bridle correctly and comfortably. He also needed to have the hair growing near his hooves clipped. Jewel expertly did the clipping and I took pictures...for his first two legs. Then, much to my surprise, she handed me the clippers and told me it was my turn. I was more than a little nervous since I had never in my life used electric clippers. I knew they were pretty sharp and I didn't want to do anything to hurt Kahuna. It was especially hard because I had to hold the clippers with my left hand (I am right-handed!) and hold up his foot with my right hand. Jewel was a good teacher, and Kahuna was a very patient horse. I was pretty proud of how well I did for the first time. Here are some pictures:



My turn! 
Lovely!

Then it was time to get Kahuna ready to ride. Jewel put wraps on his legs. It kind of reminded me of what we saw the mushers do for their dogs during the Iditarod. Then on went the saddle and bridle and Kahuna was ready to go! 

Kahuna is such a big boy that it was nearly impossible to get a picture of all of him from my spot in his stall!

Hmmm....I wonder what question many of you are asking right now. I bet it is, "So did YOU get to ride him?" YES, I did! Jewel gave me my first lesson of my trip. Of course, I loved every moment, but I also know that I have a lot to learn. But that's what this summer is all about! 

Once we had both ridden Kahuna, there were more chores to do. There is lots and lots of responsibility involved with having a horse. Remember how the Iditarod mushers always take care of their dogs first after a run and how long it took them to do all the chores? It's the same thing with horses. We took Kahuna back to his stall and gave him some carrots to thank him for being such a good boy. After taking off Kahuna's saddle, bridle, and wraps, he needed a bath. Once that was done, it was time to take care of the saddle and bridle. If the tack isn't taken care of properly, it will be ruined. Jewel used leather cleaner and oil on her saddle and the bridle, dried it, and put it away in Kahuna's tack locker. 



Finally, it was time to say goodbye to Kahuna. I was surprised when I looked at my watch and saw that we had been at the barn for more than four hours! Time DOES fly when you are having fun--and working hard! 

I have many more things to post about, including going to a horse show and taking Kahuna to the farrier. (What is a farrier? See if you can find out by the next time I post!). However, I am now at Centaur Rising and Anchorage Farm Bed and Breakfast in Pine, Colorado, and my first lesson is tomorrow morning! I need to get some rest now, because I have three hours of lessons throughout the day tomorrow. I can't wait to meet the horses and get started! 







No comments:

Post a Comment