Follow my "Unbridled Adventure," a summer project made possible by a Lilly Endowment Teacher Creativity Fellowship.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Getting Ready!

Today was the big shopping trip to buy supplies for my adventure. Since I have never taken lessons or done serious riding before, I had a lot of things to get. I also found out that I have a LOT to learn! The number one most important thing on the list was a riding helmet. Every place I am going requires a helmet. That turned out to be the easiest purchase of the day: basic black, not too expensive, nothing fancy since I'm not going to be doing any jumping or showing. Then it was off to Grand Champion Saddlery in Indy. My mom came along with me and was my clothes-holder, size-getter, and "how do you think these look?" answer-person. We spent a loooooooong time in that store. Luckily, the ladies who work there were super nice and were happy to answer all of my questions and tell me just what I needed. I was glad, because I learned that I didn't know much! I am now the proud owner of paddock boots, half-chaps, riding gloves, and several pairs of riding breeches. Breeches are special riding pants. I usually wear jeans when I take a trail ride, but jeans can be really uncomfortable when you spend a lot of hours in the saddle. That's because the stitching on the inside of the legs rubs against your skin when it's between you and the saddle. Ouch! My new riding breeches have no seams on the inside of the leg and they have some really nice patches that will help protect my legs. The half-chaps will help, too. I will post some pictures of my supplies when I start packing everything tomorrow. I'm getting excited about my trip, but I'm a little nervous, too.  I am a novice (that's your vocabulary word for the week), which means I am a beginner. I know I have a lot to learn, but I think I have chosen some great people to be my teachers. I guess you can look at it this way: for my summer vacation, I am going to be a student instead of a teacher!

1 comment: