Follow my "Unbridled Adventure," a summer project made possible by a Lilly Endowment Teacher Creativity Fellowship.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Exploring Denver

I arrived in Denver yesterday on schedule and have been getting to know the city. My friend, Jewel, picked me up at the airport. I am staying with her and her husband through Monday. This is wonderful because she can show me all the good places in town! The first order of business last night was to meet Keegan and Kayak, their two Border Collies. Keegan is 10, and Kayak is only 8 months old. We have already played frisbee and lots of fetch. Keegan is a very funny dog. He likes to watch TV and attacks the TV when animal commercials are on. You can't even say the word "commercial" or he goes crazy barking! He also barks when you spell things. I am glad Keegan and Kayak are here because they help me to not miss my dogs too much.

Today, we went to Lafayette, Colorado to go shopping at a tack store called The Tack Collection. They were having a sale ("sale" is a magic word..when there's a sale, I'm there!). A tack store is a shop where they sell clothing, boots, and all kinds of supplies for people who own and/or ride horses. Of course I found a few things to buy. Yes, I did have to remind myself of our class discussion about NEEDS vs WANTS to make decisions about my purchases! It was good to have Jewel with me, because she has her own horse, rides a lot, and could help me make decisions. I haven't met her horse yet, but we'll be going to the barn where he lives either tomorrow or Saturday.

So far, I have only met one horse, the one at The Tack Collection:


I bet that's not what you were expecting, but it is pretty cool, isn't it? Two things were really neat about this horse. First, the owner of the store painted it herself. Second, it had little labels all over it that told where certain muscles were located. I was surprised that many of the muscle names are the same as the ones humans have even though our bodies are very different! Here is an example of one of the labels:
Has Ms. Vetor taught you where your triceps are? 

I made just a few purchases today. The big box has a pair of rubber boots for mucking stalls and bathing horses. 
I am finding out that Denver is a really nice city. It's really pretty here, especially being able to look at mountains almost all the time. I have found only one problem with Denver. Today on the news, the sports reporter started talking about the Denver Broncos and the start of the PME. Can you guess what PME stands for? Yep...the "Peyton Manning Era." That made me kind of sad. Otherwise, I had a great day and I am looking forward to doing more exploring tomorrow!

1 comment: