Follow my "Unbridled Adventure," a summer project made possible by a Lilly Endowment Teacher Creativity Fellowship.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Beach Riding: July 12

One of my "horse dreams" was to ride on the beach. While I was in Jacksonville, I drove up to Amelia Island to take a beach ride. I was a little disappointed that my first choice of people who lead beach rides was not available for the entire week, because that meant that I wouldn't be able to trot or canter on the beach as I had dreamed. I decided to go with my second choice (and only other choice since there were only 2 businesses that offer beach rides there). It was called Kelly Seahorse Ranch.
This is the walkway to enter the ranch. I loved that we had to follow the hoof prints! 
There were four of us in the riding group. My horse's name was Chip. We started off by taking a trail through part of Amelia Island State Park. It was so much different from the riding in Wyoming since there were palm trees and lots of plants. It felt like riding in a jungle compared to Wyoming! After about 15 minutes, we got to the beach. It was pretty early in the morning, so except for a couple fishermen, we were the only ones on the beach. It was so peaceful to listen to the sound of the waves and the sound of shells crunching under the horses' hooves. We had the Atlantic Ocean on one side, sand dunes with sea oats on the other side, and a clear sapphire-blue sky overhead. I wish I had more pictures to share, but we were not allowed to take cameras on the ride. The guide did take a photo of each of us, so I do have proof that I really rode on the beach!

My horse, Chip, gave me a great ride along the water's edge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment